Thursday, July 23, 2015

Karter's Diner

18180 W. Bluemound Rd.  -  Brookfield Wis
The largest dining car in the midwest,
Located on Hy. 18 and Bluemound Rd.  -  Just West of Milwaukee
Only 2 minutes away from Brookfield square, largest shopping center in the country.
Serving Wisconsin cheese spread.
Phone 786-4667

Peter Karter was born in Minneapolis, raised in Greece and returned to the U.S. to become an innovative entrepreneur. In 1955 he brought the first stainless-steel 24-hour diner to Wisconsin. 
It was one of the largest Mountain View diners ever built.
After Karter retired, the diner eventually became Eliot's Diner, then:

It was moved to Kentucky in the late 1980s.
In 2009 the diner was languishing in a field, awaiting restoration.
Has anyone in Louisville seen this diner?

5 comments:

  1. My mother was a waitress in this diner. I spent many a night drinking a chocolate malt there until her shift was over, I was 9. They would add ice cream and whipped cream on top for me, and when you're 9 this was everything. I was sad when it left, and I never knew what happened to it. Glad it wasn't totally destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karter’s Diner was Eliot’s Diner when I was a kid. I would go into my dad’s office early on Saturday mornings so he could get work done and I would work on homework. We would then stop at Eliot’s Diner and eat breakfast together. My dad would buy me baklava for dessert. It was fantastic and may be traced to Eliot’s/Karter’s Greek background. I still think of that old diner when I drive by it’s location (now an Olive Garden).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The all time best fish fry. Wish I knew how they made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interior shots for the 1989 movie Major League were filmed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The managers name was George Eliot. He was a young man in his 20's, does anyone know him?

    ReplyDelete